Monday, August 11, 2008

Otter play

Found this playful young otter on the docks at Port Ludlow. He is well known there by the staff who clean up after him at least once a day and have tagged him with an appropriate nickname.

Two summers ago at Port Hadlock I had the good fortune of seeing sixteen sea otters. A very rare sight. The sea otter was hunted to extinction in Washington nearly a hundred years ago for their fur which was "all the rage," as they say. Later,
in the 1970’s, conservationists reintroduced sea otters from Alaskan populations. They have reclaimed these shorelines and are surely thankful for the clean water here.

This little fellow is more likely the common river otter which seem to enjoy the salt water shallows.

I haven't really mastered the video thing yet, but thought I'd give it a go. I hope to do more video work as we travel about, but there is quite a learning curve to overcome.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like you're doing just fine with the video. Very entertaining little critter. As a friend of Steve's, I would love to see more video of your adventures. I put your blog into the folder that contains the list of websites that I regular on a daily basis. Enjoy all that the sea has to offer!

- Eric Remy